alpha phi: history in the making
Alpha Phi was founded in 1872 at Syracuse University by ten women who were pioneers of the coeducational system at a time when women were viewed as not much more than wives, mothers, and daughters. Alpha Phi gave these women a social center, a group of friends who could sympathize with and support each other in their respective journeys.
The Lambda chapter of Alpha Phi was established in 1901 at the University of California, Berkeley, as the eleventh chapter of the sorority. It is now home to over 65 young women!
Since the beginning, Alpha Phi stands strong as a sisterhood of women dedicated to supporting each other in their achievements. The objectives of Alpha Phi are to promote character growth, unity, sisterly affection, and social communion for its members. Our motto, “Union Hand in Hand”, represents our commitment and devotion to our sisters while we strive to achieve our goals.